Thursday, July 15, 2010

Remembering Winter

With the heat index 108 yesterday, I started thinking about how we complained about the record snow fall this past winter.  The birds are baking out in the heat, panting and grateful for the bird bath and water sprinkler, when just a few months ago it looked like this.  This little wren was so puffed up, like a pom pom, while today he's looking for shade.
To attract birds to your yard, always have a water source and some plants that make thickets.  My friend Patti had wrens nesting in a flower pot on her back porch.  They love to hide deep inside things.  I spent several hours watching the parent birds feed insects to their chirping chicks, dodging in and out of the flower pot.  The wren box I bought for my yard only attracted wasps. LOL

No comments: