Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Giant Swallowtail

This isn't this year's photo, but it is one reason I keep my camera handy at all times.  This Giant Swallowtail let me follow it around for several minutes.  I have a great video, but the wind noise and background talk distracts from the silent artistry of the swallowtails flight.
There is a great link on FB called "Gardens with Wings" that I just joined this morning.  This photo is posted there as well.  An interesting fact I gleened from their site is that its larval nickname is the Orange Dog because this species loves to feed on citrus plants and when disturbed it extends an osmeteria, a foul smelling scent gland that is used to deter predators. I'm no where near a citris orchard, so I can't believe it found my garden.  These zinnias come up on their own every summer.
To learn more about butterfly gardens, follow me on twitter @Sarah_Goodrich


To learn how to have a career where your every move makes a positive environmental impact, go to
http://health-revolution.myshaklee.com

No comments: